In-depth critiques on short pieces
This form of critique is handled separately from our magazine submission process, and works submitted here will not be considered for publication. If you would like an in-depth analysis of your piece with actionable feedback this is a great option. You will receive a double-spaced page review of from one of Typehouse’s working and senior editors within three weeks. This is a great option both for if you have a short piece you need help with, or if you would like to see an overview of how the editing process works before committing to editing for a longer work such as a novel or chapbook.
For prose submissions:
- Things covered may include plot, characterization, setting, tone, and language, as well as other aspects of the piece.
- Works may be any length up to 10,000 words
- For all works up to 2,000 a $25 minimum applies
- For longer works the rate is $25 + 1.5¢/word over 2,000
- All works less than 5,000 will receive a critique of two pages, works within 5,100 – 7,000 will receive three pages, and works 7,100 – 10,000 (max) will receive a critique of four double-spaced pages.
For poetry submissions:
- Things covered may include voice, structure, imagery, tone, and form, as well as other aspects of the piece
- Up to five poems (maximum of 10 pages) may be submitted
- Feedback on the first three poems is $25, up to two additional poems may be added for $10 each
- The first three poems will receive a critique of two double-spaced pages, with each additional poem receiving two paragraphs of feedback.
For all submissions:
- Nonrefundable deposit of $25 will be collected upon submission, with subsequent fees billed before work begins.
- Turnaround time is three weeks from when both manuscript and payment have been received
- Editors will be assigned based on suitability for the submissions, however you may request the same editor for a new or revised submission.
- Marginalized authors will be eligible for a 5% discount during the corresponding Typehouse submission period
- Editors will be available for one email response to questions after returning the critique, within reason
- Works edited through this format are not eligible for submission to or publication in Typehouse
- Any manuscript that violates our guidelines will be rejected without critique or refund.