NOTE: All written submissions (with the exception of Native/ Indigenous/ First Nations Heritage Month fee-free submissions) will be closed October 31, 2022 for the year, to reopen in January of 2023
We are looking for submissions that grab us and convey a unique perspective and honest insight into our world. We are especially interested in underrepresented voices of all kinds, and we want to see submissions from writers and artists of all races, sexualities, nationalities, religions, and genders, as well as disabled and neurodivergent creators. Genre fiction submissions are welcome, particularly speculative fiction.
- General Submissions are open to all creators, all the time, ten months out of the year. General submissions are $3.00, with no-fee submission periods in January, July, and August, and are closed during November and December.
- Feedback submissions are open to all creators, all the time, ten months out of the year. Feedback submissions both give constructive feedback on your work and help the magazine continue to be able to pay contributors. They are closed in November and December.
- Visual Art submissions remain open all year-round.
November 1-30: In honor of Native American Heritage Month, no-fee submissions are open for all Native/Indigenous/First Nations creators, not limited to those from the US.
We will not read work that contains racist, sexist, ableist, misogynistic, queer/homophobic, transphobic, or ableist language or content, and feedback submissions will not receive a refund for not receiving feedback if their submission contains this content.
***Submission schedule for 2022***
As a diverse editorial staff who values diverse voices, we have devised a submission schedule for 2022 that includes no-fee submission periods throughout the year for underrepresented voices.
- January 2-31: No-fee submissions open for all contributors
- February 1-28: In honor of Black History Month, no-fee submissions are open for all Black creators, not limited to those in the US.
- March 1-31: In honor of Disability Awareness Month, no-fee submissions are open for all creators living with both visible and invisible disabilities, not limited to those from the US.*
- April 1-30: In honor of Arab American Heritage Month, no-fee submissions are open for all Arab creators, not limited to those in the US.
- May 1-31: In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and Mental Health Awareness Month, no-fee submissions are open for all API creators and all Mental Health identified creators, not limited to those from the US.*
- June 1-30: In honor of Pride Month, no-fee submissions are open for all LGBTQIA2+/Queer writers, not limited to those from the US.
- July 1-August 31 – No-fee submissions open for all contributors
- September 15-October 15: In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, no-fee submissions are open for all Hispanic/Latine/x creators, not limited to those in the US.
- November 1-30: In honor of Native American Heritage Month, no-fee submissions are open for all Native/Indigenous/First Nations creators, not limited to those from the US.
- December 1-31: Closed to all written submissions, including tipped and feedback, to give our hardworking editors a break. Art will remain open.
*Neurodivergent creators are welcome to submit in the category they best identify with.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For these periods submissions do not have to be about the creator’s identity, and the creator does not have to prove they are a member of the community. We also want to see submissions from underrepresented voices all year long.
- All written submissions should be saved in.docx or .doc format with contact information and the work’s title and word count in the document.
- If we have accepted your work, please wait until the next submission period to submit again.
- We are slowly working our way up to paying professional rates, with payment currently at $25 per contributor.
- Typehouse takes first publication rights exclusively for six months, with non-exclusive archival rights thereafter. All other rights revert to the author upon publication.
- If a piece is reprinted please be sure to acknowledge Typehouse as its first publication.
- There is no strict word count, although we most frequently publish fiction and non-fiction between 500-5,000 words. We accept up to three prose submissions per author as long as the total number of words is less than 7,500. All genres and subjects are welcomed and encouraged.
- Up to six poems are accepted per submission, and all forms are encouraged.
Visual Arts Submissions:
- We like to see artwork and photography in all media and of subjects. Up to six visual arts submissions are accepted at once. You may also a writeup of your work.
- We are all writers and artists, so simultaneous submissions are encouraged, but please let us know immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere.
- Previously published work will not be considered, and this includes work published on social media and personal websites. If it is available publicly online it has been published.
- Please submit to only one written category, and please wait two months from your response to send us more written work.
- Visual arts submissions may be made along with written submissions, with a one-month waiting period for more visual art after a response is received.
- Typehouse is published in both PDF and print form in January, May, and September.