Announcing Typehouse Literary Magazine’s 2019 2nd Biennial Short Fiction Contest!
- $175 for first place and publication
- $100 for second place and consideration for publication
- $50 for third place and consideration for publication
We are excited to announce that finalists will be judged blind by Venita Blackburn.
Works by Venita Blackburn have appeared in the Virginia Quarterly Review, Paris Review, The Spectacle, Los Angeles Review of Books Print Quarterly Journal, American Short Fiction, the Georgia Review, Pleiades, Madison Review, Bat City Review, Nashville Review, Smoke Long Quarterly, Café Irreal, Santa Monica Review, Faultline, Devil’s Lake Review, Nat.Brut., Bellevue Literary Review, audio download through Bound Off, and others. She was awarded a Bread Loaf Fellowship in 2014 and several Pushcart prize nominations. She received the Prairie Schooner book prize for fiction, which resulted in the publication of her collected stories, Black Jesus and Other Superheroes, in 2017. In 2018 she earned a place as a finalist for the PEN/Bingham award for debut fiction, finalist for the NYPL Young Lions award and recipient of the PEN America Los Angeles literary prize in fiction. Current projects include finishing a new novel, a collection of flash fiction and creative non-fiction. Her home town is Compton, California, and she is an Assistant Professor of creative writing at California State University, Fresno. You can find her at venitablackburn.com and on Twitter @Venita Blackburn .
“Bring on the odd characters, the beautiful sentences, the dastardly deeds and variations of form that transcend expectations yet demonstrates structural control. I enjoy traditional narratives and/or magical scenarios plus any combination of the two. Culturally challenging content that manages to invest in every grain of salt that feeds our civilization would also be pretty marvelous. ”
- All pieces must be between 1000-6000 words
- Entries must be previously unpublished
- All genres accepted.
- Manuscripts must be in standard format, proofed and ready for publication
- Entries must be made through our Submittable submission contest page
- You may enter twice
- No simultaneous submissions
- Entry fee is $12
- All decisions made by the judges regarding the winners are final
- No contest entry fees will be returned
- By submitting, you are agreeing to all contest rules
- Contest rules are subject to change
Contest opens March 1st and runs through June 30th. Submit early!