Announcing the winners of Typehouse Literary Magazine’s 2017 Biennial Open Fiction Contest!
First Place: Communicable by Molly DiRago
Second Place: A Time and a Place by Rose Wunrow
Third Place: Sun in the East, Sun in the West by Philip Dean Brown
Molting by Steven Schlozman
The Last Meal by Jennifer Landrey
Vessel Watch by Amy Phariss
Finalists were judged blind by Rachel Harper, and we are indebted to her for her time.
Rachel M. Harper is a novelist and screenwriter. Her first novel, Brass Ankle Blues, was a Borders Original Voices Award finalist and selected as a Target Breakout Book. Her newest novel, This Side of Providence, was published in April 2016, and was shortlisted for the 2016 Ernest J. Gaines Award for Literary Excellence. Find out more about her at http://rachelmharper.com/.
“When reading fiction, I look for originality, vivid imagery, and a strong
voice. Like most readers, I connect strongly with character—the people and places
that fill the fictional landscape—so dynamic characters are
sure to get my attention. Lastly, I like to be gripped by a story,
so tension is a must-have to keep me in my seat and turning pages.”
- All pieces must be between 1000-6000 words
- Entries must be previously unpublished
- All genres accepted.
- Manuscripts must be in standard format, proofed and ready for publication
- Entries must be made through our Submittable submission contest page
- You may enter twice
- No simultaneous submissions
- Entry fee is $12
- All decisions made by the judges regarding the winners are final
- No contest entry fees will be returned
- By submitting, you are agreeing to all contest rules
- Contest rules are subject to change
Contest opens March 1st and runs through June 30th. Submit early!