As you may know, Typehouse is based in Oregon, and Gorham Printing, who we use for our physical issues, is in Washington. The West Coast has pretty much been on stay-at-home orders of one sort or another for quite a bit, which is definitely having a very positive effect. However, there is uncertainly about when that will be lifted. As of right now they are saying May 4th in Washington, but I do not see that very likely, as opening up too soon will cause another spike.
So as an editorial team we have made the tough decision to publish both the May and September issues as a group super (20th!) issue. We considered a lot of options, but ultimately thought it was better to have a date that is probably safe to settle on rather than having to risk keep moving things around, and maybe having to cancel it anyway. We will remain open to submissions as we work virtually anyway, and will probably close to submissions the beginning of August to put the issue together and have it out on time.
I know this might be frustrating, and it is for us to, but I’d rather things happen in a way that keeps the most people safe, so we will adapt. (And hey! Super 20th jumbo issue? Might have to do something super special!)
We super appreciate all of our readers and submitters and supporters. I hope you all are well and safe, and that you are dealing with the stress as well as possible. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your participation in our magazine!
Val & Co.